Keeping a journal is a great tool for self-expression. When you’re feeling down, it’s nice to have a place where you can let out your thoughts and emotions. Journaling is also beneficial for self care because it teaches you to speak kindly to yourself and without judgment. If you are having a writer’s block or don’t know where to start, try answering some of these self-love journal prompts!
Also, if you’re looking for even more writing inspo, check out my previous journaling posts:
- 30 Journal Prompts for Self Discovery and Reflection
- 34 Inspiring Journal Prompts for Personal Growth
How Journaling Helps With Self-Care
There are various health benefits that come with journaling. Not only does writing help you get to know yourself better, but it also reduces stress and clears your mind. Let’s say you are having a stressful week at work or are struggling with a recent life change. Keeping a journal allows you to really listen to your inner voice and express your feelings in a healthy way.
At times, we can be our own worst critics. Self-love journal prompts are powerful because they instill a consistent sense of positive inner dialogue!
For me, journaling has helped my mental health through the years. As a kid, I kept a diary filled with personal entries, but I eventually stopped writing as much. It wasn’t until taking a course in college that I started journaling daily again. I’m glad I did because I fell in love with writing my thoughts on paper. It even led me to blogging! 💛
Tips for 31 Days of Journaling
- Don’t worry about making your journal pretty. Journals aren’t always going to look beautiful. Sometimes, entries can be messy and that’s perfectly normal! You’re trying to make sense of your thoughts, so you may have a lot of doodles, messy handwriting, and run-on sentences in your journal.
- It’s okay if you miss a day. Starting a journal challenge is such a fun and eyeopening experience. But life gets busy and we don’t always have the time to sit down and write. Please don’t feel discouraged if you miss a day or two. Get back to it whenever you can — you’ve got this!
- Feel free to do the challenge out of order. Some days throughout the journaling challenge, you may find that one prompt in particular is really inspiring you. If this happens, answer that prompt even if it’s out of order! At the end of the day, follow your heart when you’re drawn to a certain topic!
- Congratulate yourself often. Staying consistent with journaling is tough at times, so remember to congratulate yourself for sticking with it! ✨
31 Self-Love Journal Prompts
1. What is a characteristic that makes you unique? Why did you pick this trait in particular and what does it mean to you?
2. How do you like to practice self care? What are some of the most effective ways to look after your body, heart, and mind?
3. Close your eyes and think of the word “reverie” What comes to mind when you hear that word? (Whether it’s a happy memory, song, person, event, etc).
4. What is your self-love language? If you’re not sure, here’s a printable quiz to help you discover yours!
5. If you had to choose one, what color do you think best matches your aura? What is it about that specific color that speaks to you? (I think mine would be sky blue!)
6. Pick 10 albums that create the soundtrack to your life. Teen Vogue’s series about this concept is awesome!
7. Write down a list of 20 things that make you feel happy, calm, and loved.
8. What is your biggest dream in life? Free write about your top passions and goals for the future.
9. What are your top 3 favorite personality traits about yourself?
10. Who makes you feel supported, safe, and loved? Also, what are some ways you can show gratitude to the people closest to you?
11. What do you think you need to make more time for at the moment? Also, is there anything that you need to let go of?
12. In this present moment, what makes you feel proudest of yourself? Take a moment to jot down some goals that you’ve accomplished so far this year!
13. What is something about yourself that you’ve grown to love? Why are you grateful for this attribute?
14. How do you positively impact the people in your life? (We often tend to forget about all the little ways we help those around us!)
15. Sit in silence and listen to your body and mind. How are you truly feeling today? Also, in what ways can you listen and attend to your inner voice?
16. Think of 5 things you’ve learned about yourself over the years. How have these moments of self-discovery brought more joy in your life?
17. List 3 physical features that you love about yourself.
18. What are some positive and healthy habits you’d like to add to your daily routine?
19. What are your biggest strengths? Also, name a few of your hidden talents!
20. Who is someone that you admire in life? Why do you look up to this person? Also, in what ways are you similar to them?
21. What are some little things about today that made you smile? What about this week? And this month?
22. Sit in a scenic spot (your reading nook, at the beach, under the stars, etc.) and let yourself daydream. What comes to mind in this peaceful moment?
23. If you could speak to yourself from 10 years ago, what would you tell your past self? Also, what do you think your past self would thank you for?
24. What does love mean to you? Define self-love in a sentence. What steps can you take to love yourself more each day?
25. Think of a motivational quote that inspires you to love yourself more. Why did you choose this quote?
26. When you think of “home” what does it look and feel like? Take a moment to set the scene and reflect on your response.
27. Write down 10 positive affirmations that encourage you to treat yourself with love and kindness.
28. Think of a book that made an impact on your life. What are some books that are on your to-read list right now?
29. What is something that you still need to forgive yourself for? How can you take the necessary steps to acknowledge your feelings in a healthy way?
30. What is the best compliment you’ve ever received? How did the statement make you feel in the moment? Next, give yourself 5 compliments!
31. How do you think you’ve grown most as a person in the last year? What about within the last 5 years?
I hope that you enjoyed this post, lovelies! Have an amazing rest of your Friday and weekend! x
Have you ever done a journaling challenge? Also, how did these self-love journal prompts resonate with you?