After a long day, having a cozy routine helps relieve stress. Maybe you look forward to brewing a pot of tea or sitting by the fireplace with a new book. Every person is unique, so we all have our own go-to hobbies that help us unwind. It’s important to find reliable ways to relax, so ask yourself: what truly calms my mind?
For me, it has always been music and writing. I look forward to evenings at home, working on my blog and playing a new album. That’s when I feel the calmest. The other day, my anxiety was pretty noticeable — I was experiencing nausea, a fast heartbeat, and dizziness. We were out to dinner and I had to step outside to cool off.
After dinner, I relaxed by just drafting a blog post. I was super excited to listen to my new Spotify recommendations. The music fit the setting so well because it was raining that day. Despite my moment of panic earlier, I felt much better!
If you’re feeling stressed right now, read through this list of simple ways to relax. Also, ask yourself if you can implement any of these ideas into your daily self care routine! 💛
78 Ways to Relax & Slow Down
1. Listen to a relaxing podcast you enjoy.
Lately, I’ve been loving podcasts! They’re so helpful and calming — especially if you’re dealing with anxious thoughts. My favorite podcasts at the moment for stress relief are Anxiety Slayer, The Anxiety Coaches, and The Highly Sensitive Person. You can check out the latest episode of each podcast below! 🎧
2. Download helpful anxiety apps.
3. Grab a bowl of popcorn & watch vlogs on YouTube.
If I’m feeling anxious, I really enjoy watching Luke Korn’s travel vlogs. He’s such a fantastic story teller! Some other uplifting YouTubers are The Try Guys, AjayII, and Mia Maples. Mia just uploaded a vlog where she renovated her grandparents’ house and it was so sweet! 💗🏠
4. Take a hot shower or run a bubble bath.
5. Plan out your week in an agenda.
6. Make a yummy smoothie bowl.
Smoothie bowls are both healthy and delicious! Here are just a few tasty recipes:
7. Complete an anxiety workbook.
It’s beneficial to actively reflect upon your stressors and anxious thoughts. Try picking up an anxiety workbook with interactive exercises and worksheets. I’ve been slowly working through Dr. Bourne’s book and love his practical and simple self care tips. He breaks everything down so well and offers various ways to relax!
8. Look out for constellations in the sky.
9. Snuggle up with a comfy throw blanket.
10. Organize your clothes, makeup & accessories.
11. Go grocery shopping & pick up a houseplant.
12. Sort through your inbox.
13. Make a helpful to-do list!
14. Follow inspiring self care & wellness blogs.
Just a couple of awesome blogs that I’ve been reading lately! They are all so inspiring and motivating! 💛
15. Turn off your phone and play classic board games. 🎲
16. Have breakfast in bed! 🥞
17. Build a house on The Sims.
On The Sims, you can personalize your characters, build a home, and explore. One of the funnest ways to relax after a long day! 🎮
18. Bake a festive treat for your friends.
Already picturing the comforting scent of apple cinnamon bread baking in the oven! 🍎
Delicious autumn themed recipes:
19. Visit a local flower shop.
20. Daydream! ☁️☀️
21. Enjoy a piece of dark chocolate.
Did you know that studies show chocolate reduces stress? Another reason to enjoy a delicious Dove chocolate bar! 🍫
22. Take a nap.
23. Create a morning & nighttime self care routine.
24. Join a supportive Facebook group for anxiety & stress.
It’s nice to talk to someone who understands your situation. Anxious Lass recently wrote an amazing post, featuring various mental health Facebook groups! ⌨️
25. Hug your loved ones.
26. Declutter your mind with a brain dump.
27. Compliment yourself for accomplishments.
28. Sit outside and get some fresh air.
29. Take a few slow, deep breaths.
30. Start a diary.
Writing is a wonderful way to de-stress and express yourself. Consider starting a daily diary and reflect on your day! 📔
31. Reframe any negative thoughts.
32. Sit by the fireplace and read a good book!
33. Do a five minute mindfulness exercise.
34. Have a feel-good movie marathon.
Watch an adorably cheesy movie that makes you smile! 🧀
Some of my faves:
For more movie night ideas, check out 150 Best Romantic Comedies of All Time! 💛
35. Open your window and enjoy the cool breeze.
36. Drink a yummy cup of hot chocolate! ☕
37. Follow a yoga class on Youtube!
38. Do a creative hobby — knit, paint, color, or work on a scrapbook! 🎨
39. Light a calming candle.
Spend an evening at home and light a candle with your favorite scent. Yankee Candles always make your home smell so lovely. They’re my new go-to for candles! 💖
40. Squeeze a stress ball.
41. Start a beautiful garden.
42. Allow yourself to take a break for the day.
43. Go window shopping at Marshalls!
There’s just something so relaxing about browsing through Marshalls. They have the best accessories! 👠
44. Create a dreamy mood board.
Make a collage of photos and words that inspire you! ✨
45. Stay hydrated.
46. Have a picnic at the park!
47. Spend the day with your best friend.
48. Work near a window.
49. Cross off a couple of chores on your cleaning checklist.
50. Treat yourself to a little gift from your fave Etsy shop!
51. Drive to the beach before sunset.
52. Make an anti-stress playlist filled with calming songs.
One of the best ways to relax after a long day is to listen to music. I’ve created an anti-stress playlist with 95 of my favorite relaxing songs! 🎶
53. Spend an afternoon at a cute coffee shop.
54. Order pizza and watch nostalgic sitcoms.
There are so many hilarious sitcoms you can start watching like What I Like About You, My Wife and Kids, and Reba. Growing up, my family and I used to watch sitcoms together all the time and it always lifted my spirits! 💓
55. See a play at your local theatre.
56. Do a fun DIY project!
57. Have a soothing cup of tea.
58. Exercise for 20 minutes.
59. Search for funny quizzes like “Which The Office Character Are You?“
60. Invest in a light therapy lamp.
During the fall and winter seasons, you may feel down or anxious. Many people struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Although scientists don’t know an exact cause, they believe one factor is a lack of sunlight. In this case, a light therapy lamp can help boost your mood and fight the winter blues. On Amazon, Miroco’s light therapy lamp had so many positive reviews!
61. Try out a self care subscription box.
I really want to try out the Go Love Yourself subscription box, because it features wellness items like a self care book, candles, and so much more!🎁
62. Redecorate or rearrange a room in your home.
63. Wear your go-to comfiest flannel.
64. Eat dinner by candlelight at your favorite restaurant.
65. Try essential oils for relaxation.
66. Write down an action plan for your biggest goals.
67. Unwind with a weekend staycation.
68. Add some superfoods for stress relief to your diet.
69. Try a grounding technique, like the 5,4,3,2,1 method.
Grounding techniques lessen anxiety by refocusing your attention onto your surroundings. For the 5,4,3,2,1 method, first name five things you see around you. Next, name four things you can feel, three things you can hear, and two things you can smell. Finally, finish the exercise by saying one positive affirmation or giving yourself a compliment!
70. Snap a picture of something beautiful, like sunflowers or a rainbow.
71. Decorate your place with cozy furniture & encouraging art.
72. Start a 30 days of self care challenge.
73. Go to a local event, like a carnival or Comic-Con!
74. Add pretty fairy lights to your room!
75. Listen to nature sounds, like ocean waves or rain.
I like to hear the sound of gentle rain falling while listening to music. It’s one of my favorite ways to relax and the music sounds even prettier! ☂️
76. Pamper yourself with a homemade sugar scrub!
77. Think of little ways you can invest in yourself.
78. Spray a pillow mist before bed.
I hope that you enjoyed this post, lovelies! Have a wonderful rest of your Friday! x
What are some of your go-to ways to relax? Were any of them on this list?